Old 16-Jun-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Extreme Windsurfing

Default Amazed By the 9'8 (Big Guy)

I've gotta say I WAS AMAZED

I'm at least 260lbs (not sure how many Stones but probably a good truckload for you brits) 6'2" been messing with SUP's in flatwater, Surf, Whitewater whatever for 3 yrs.

I'm Happy with my 12'
Unimpressed by the UB
Was very confident I would just sink my buddies 9'8" Sportech...I was completely WRONG!
It was very easy in flatwater not much different than the 11'2. Stable Glide floated me fine.

Can't wait to BORROW it to SURF & whitewater...This could change everything!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jul-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
stoneaxe

Default Very Interesting

I hadn't even considered the 9-8. I'm 6-4 240 lbs and paddle a 12-6. I was considering the UB but I'll have to get on the 9-8 and see how it feels. That does open up a whole new spectrum.
stoneaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jul-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
flipperade

Went out yesterday for 1st time on 9 8 i'm 15 stone and 6 2, was blowing 22 knots so did some fw first in rivermouth and though low in the water it floated me fine, went into waves and it was really messy so went on knees at first then managed to stand up for a while in some serious chop caught a couple of waves its awsome...on a clean day this board will rule
flipperade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jul-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
stoneaxe

I'm going to get a chance , hopefully in a couple of weeks to check out both the 9-8 and the 11-2. Should be interesting. I'm really wishing I had gotten my wife the 9-8 now.
Old 19-Jul-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
flipperade

What I also like about it is in addition to a mast track it also has footstrap inserts and comes with the footstraps. When I have a few more windsurfing lessons under my belt cant wait to try it with a rig.
flipperade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2008, 03:13 PM   #6

I know it is good for small medium surf and up, but what is it like for micro-waves and flat water training? Obviously longer is better to get the Glide, but can you still catch the really tiny wavelets you can get with a longer board? Gotta say I am intrigued by the it's windsurfing potential also.
638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-2008, 05:03 PM   #7

Hi Denis, Thanks for that post. Quite suprising. Especialy as you have a 12' to compare to.
What about width, do you think it is spot on or do you think you could go more narrow? I am not sure about the drag you get from wider board, I guess the extra width helps you to plane early and distribute wieght also. Great to hear that it Is so versatile in what we used to think of as a more "radical" shape. Funny how we can spend so much time on SUP. I never get tired of mind either...
Old 30-Jul-2008, 05:19 PM   #8

Interesting to hear the comparisons, especially to see that it is not so obvious at all which dimensions/shapes will make a board work well in diferent ways.
Really good feedback Denis, Thanks.
Old 01-Aug-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
stoneaxe

Extreme...I'm surprised you didn't sink the 9-8 and were unimpressed by the UB. I rode both the 9-8 and the UB a couple weeks ago. The UB I fell in love with...caught some great waves and all I had to do was think about it and the board turned. Best surfing I've done. Swapped boards later in the shore chop just to see if I could stand on the 9-8 and I was sunk to the ankles. I'd love to try it on a wave though....maybe next time.
Old 01-Aug-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Extreme Windsurfing

Default 9'8" Big Guy Still Really impressed BUT...

The fact that the 9.8 floated me at all is amazing (way over 200#)

Anyway, been working a bit on the 11'2 (as a single fin) I think the stock 20cm fin is a bit small. I've gone to a 28cm with better results. The 11'2 PERFORMS for me as a nose rider Get up on the nose and it Takes Off! Cut backs are kinda slow (I need to move around the board more not esay at my size)

The 9'8" limitattions seems to be the flatter nose rocker in the beach break kinda wave we have here on the East Coast. We need to stay on the tail to avoid pearling. It still is fast and manueverable and pumps down the line like a shortboard which is very cool!

I've rdden the 12'6, !2' 11'2" & 9'8" extensively (as a retailer this isn't hard) and as a big guy I'd say

12'6 Works in the surf (any size) Sails the best. One of the best all around boards for EVERYTHING...and I mean everything!

12' By FAR the easiest to use in the surf. Sails well. Doesn't glide as well as the 12'6" but holds on the face of a wave better...Slightly more manueverable

11'2 A NOSE RIDDING MACHINE sails OK needs Thruster setup (I haven't used it in that mode just guessing) Doesn't catch the waves as well as the 12.

9'8" SHREDS... tough for me to use comfortably in the surf. Surf sails (in wind) PHENOMINAL! Waves with some power it's like ridding a shortboard. Harder to catch small waves

I hope that helps these are just my oppinions with a spring & half a summer of playing with them...Next up HURRICANE SEASON (well technically we are already in Hurricane season) I'm sure this will shed new light on these boards in the mean time we are having fun in small surf & distance paddling events

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com
Extreme Windsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote