Old 26-Mar-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
mauistyle

Hi muriwairocks,

Really good thread here, as we all participate in a new and exciting sport and we tweak our equipment. For the record, I'm right in the middle of 5' 8" -5'9" height and I am 61 years young.

Just so everyone is clear, the shorter 70" paddle length does make me bend my knees and use my back and thighs more. The thighs will burn and the back will get tired, so its NOT for everyone. The reason you bend at the knees is to get the optimal hand spacing for gripping your paddle and for a lower center of gravity by being in a surfing stance already. Keep in mind, I am 90% of the time in a surfing stance with this paddle, to get proper blade depth in my strokes. As you stated and this is important. If the blade is not at the proper stroke depth, the blade dihedral will not be in contact with the water, which will cause your blade to flutter side to side on your strokes.

My comments come from a surfing experience only, as I am not a long distance paddler. So use this info in that context. I don't feel for my personal use, I need or want to go any shorter than this, which is about 1 1/2" to 2" above my head in length. Another bit of info, is that I don't use the smaller 70" paddle much in stronger winds, whether onshore or offshore as I prefer a longer paddle for balance and bearing down in catching waves in offshore winds. Lastly folks. If you intend to get more creative, rent or buy an adjustable paddle and experiment first, before hacking your $300 paddle to death. LOL!!!

By the way, your all probably wondering what all that colored stuff is on my paddles in the picture I posted. The long yellow stuff is a grip I put on to improve my handling of the paddle shaft. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and the shaft was to narrow for me. I put 3M electrical tape around the blade to protect it from damage and myself from injury. Low tides bring blade contact with coral heads and I don't SUP surf anywhere with sand. Wipeouts bring close encounters with the serious sharp edges of the blade. Because I surf several outer reef locations here on Maui, the bright colors help me locate my paddle quickly when we part ways.

It looks like the southern hemisphere is heating up. Thursday is the arrival of the first real south swell for Hawaii. I think we'll see head high sets and I think our wind may start to mellow and a few more north swells will hit us. Most surf energy from north and south has been hitting Central and South America, the jet stream has been erratic and a huge blocking high pressure has been sitting north of Hawaii for weeks now. I live on the NE side of Maui, 10 minutes from the airport. Wind and kite surfers have been going crazy for weeks now right below my house. Anyway thanks for your input.

Aloha and share the waves with others
Mauistyle
mauistyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Mar-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
muriwairocks

Hi - I just re-found this excellent post by paddle designer Pono Bill on length. He pretty much totally supports what Mauistyle says about paddle length. For flat water I agree (don't really do too much of that), but I still beg to differ on surfing length. I know its probably a personal thing, but a head-height paddle rocks my world in the waves.

Anyway have a look at this article, if you get a chance. It's well worth it.

http://www.suptalk.com/sup-tips/padd...ltimate-guide/

Pono Bill's Ke Nalu website also has some brilliant stuff on paddle selection, the hydrodynamics of paddles (not boring), how to paddle like Connor Baxter, and why Laird is wrong.
muriwairocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Mar-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
mauistyle

Muriwairocks,

Thanks for the direction to Ke Nalu's website. Had touched upon it in the past, but never looked deeper in to it. Checked a few pages and will follow up on the reading as time allows. Hard to say what is right and whats wrong. I don't think what your doing is wrong or bad. You feel good about it and it works for you, so go with it. We are all experimenting to find what works best.

Even my longest paddle length is 2" short of most recommended lengths for a 5'9" person, but who cares. I'm still gonna use my 70" on smaller fun waves on my Hero. Something else I thought about, was the type of swell/wave that is being paddled after. 15 to 21 second swell intervals/ground swells, means you will have to have a longer paddle/reach and some horsepower to bear down to catch them. I find this an issue when it gets bigger and I have to switch paddles and boards as the surf gets bigger. If shorter period 8-10 second wind swells are being surfed, not much time between waves and no room for running starts, so to speak. A shorter paddle also works for me under those conditions, spin the board fast and late takeoff's.

Any way, good issue to talk about and thanks for your time in bringing it up. Tomorrow south shore should have waves and I'll try to snap some pics for all to see.

Aloha and share the waves

MauiStyle
mauistyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Apr-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
gwhughes

Under what kind of conditions does the broom work well?
gwhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Apr-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
muriwairocks

Hi GW might you care to elaborate on your post? It could be answered in so many ways.
muriwairocks is offline   Reply With Quote