PDA

View Full Version : stand up paddling..//windsurf board.?

joco
08-Sep-2008, 04:21 AM
hi all.

need help.
i realy want to start to paddle board..stand up..wit the long paddle.

but dont have the budget to do it now.

i am a kayakers and canoer..got 6 vessel..off those..and now want to lurn stand up paddling..and want to try it.

will get a long paddle...will be good for stand up in one my kayak..but now need a board.

.can i use a windsurfing board to do so..?

what kind off windsurf board i could used...???.man 6 feet tall...230pound.

some say old type board would be the best ones...??? true...?

any help is apprecieted.

so can i use a windsurfing board to stand up paddling...?

thanks

marco

adamc
08-Sep-2008, 06:11 PM
hi Marco,
I too really want to give this a go. My SUP board is in Brittany , I shall return for a trip in october , but in the meantime I am suffering withdrawal so I am determined to get my 25 year old windsurfer one design board and paddle it on flat water/little wind. Its been just sitting there for decades so it must be worth a try even if it just gives you a wobbly work out. I measured its width as 26'' which is much narrower than the 30'' of the 11'2'' I have been using and am concerned the fin will not keep it very straight but anything to avoid taking it to the tip. I will let you know how I get on !
Adam

flipflop
10-Sep-2008, 10:24 AM
I paddled an old Bic Melody for ages before raising the funds for an ultimate blend. It was actually better for distance paddle due to the fact it seemed to always go straight which reduced the paddle changes. However now I have got hooked on riding waves I don't do much distance paddling, I once tried riding waves on the windsurf board which didn't work at all due to the shape. Plenty of ally cheap paddles about.

joco
10-Sep-2008, 09:32 PM
hi all.

looking for a an ols windsurf board.

to do some flat water stand up paddling.

but for my weight and what i want to do..it as to be around..

12 feet and longer and close to 30 inch wide and wider.

so what old model off windsurfer would be close to those size..????

thanks.

righ now somebody want to guive me a old..one desing..but i think its smaller then that..mabe to small to stand up paddling
j

thanks

joco

rkdjones
25-Sep-2008, 11:21 PM
I am looking around for a SUP board but don't have one yet. I have an 11' sailboard that is way too small for me to stand up paddle but does have enough volume to support my weight. So I was thinking about what I might do until I find a SUP board. I know it might be a completely crazy thing to try, but I am wondering if I can put some foam outriggers on my sailboard just so I can get out on the lake and paddle it around. I was wondering if anyone else considered putting outriggers on an undersized windsurf board just to mess around.

Robert

26-Sep-2008, 10:38 PM
That is crazy, if you like making things then I guess it will be fun. I used a windsurfer while I was waiting for a
SUP too. I used a Serenity, which I still think rocks. I have used a Mistral One Design also, which is very fast. However when it comes to waves...

If I was desperate I would SUP on anything, even my wife's Wood Carbon Wave Windsurf board, but only once...

What about inflatable sandshoes?

city of lakes
03-Oct-2008, 07:53 AM
I have been using the original windsurfer approx. 26" wide out on a local lake. I got it for $50 and then made my own paddle by cutting a canoe paddle in half and using a carbon fibre shaft. It took a little getting used to but after getting the hang of it i'm a pro. My 4 and 6 year old take it out and try to paddle like their dad.
I too am saving up for the "dream board" but in the meantime getting in some good practice...good luck!

Seth

stoneaxe
04-Oct-2008, 01:46 AM
I am looking around for a SUP board but don't have one yet. I have an 11' sailboard that is way too small for me to stand up paddle but does have enough volume to support my weight. So I was thinking about what I might do until I find a SUP board. I know it might be a completely crazy thing to try, but I am wondering if I can put some foam outriggers on my sailboard just so I can get out on the lake and paddle it around. I was wondering if anyone else considered putting outriggers on an undersized windsurf board just to mess around.

Robert

Outriggers aren't crazy....:D

Hehe...I never got a round to building this. I was thinking of it as a fishing cruiser. Something super stable. This is 14 x 30.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/stoneaxe/SUP-cruiser.jpg

joco
05-Oct-2008, 01:23 AM
you want stable platform..

there you go.

http://www.multibananaboat.com/

joco:D

joco
05-Oct-2008, 02:44 AM
here the best site for board fishing.

got to love that one..its cool.

http://www.boardfisher.com/index.html

this why i want a board..to make exeercise and to cast a bit....:D

joco

adamc
07-Oct-2008, 05:09 PM
I took an old windsurf one design board out on some flat water at Chalshot ,solent Uk
last sunday. My sup experience is on 9'8'' and my friends 11'2'' (both still in Brittany!? and great fun btw). The one design windsurfer may weigh a ton but it paddles fast and straight (does the weight help?), very stable too. Ok maybe(?) its not as good as a true sup but for someone with toxic derivatitis and sort of cash I would recommend it.

Mike T
14-Nov-2008, 09:33 AM
Check out this new kit from CLC http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/new/CLC-KAHOLO-SUP.html Looks like a good point to point board. I overhauled a 1985 Mistral Superlight that a neighbor was going to throw away and it has worked well for the past three years. It neened a new fin box and some paint, Glued a deck pad on and away you go. I even sail it when the wind comes up. I even made a paddle out of broken carbon booms and some Cedar, teak and Mahogany laminated together then shaped and glasses with clear epoxy and 4oz surfboard glass. So go find a board and get on the water, time is a wastin! Have fun! Mike

frazzx
18-Jun-2009, 10:53 AM
I tried a Bic Reggea 11' 26" wide as a paddleboard, doesn't work, way too tippy, you could paddle around in calm water, but it wasn't fun, as a windsurfer it could handle small waves.

Easy Rider
09-Jul-2009, 06:55 AM
The main issues with using an old sailboard is that they are narrower (less stable)
Have less rocker (won't catch waves as well)
Are heavier
Tend to have straight rails (tracks well but doesn't turn as well)
Most cases the non slip deck has worn away and they are slippery.

just my 2